Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Easy and oh so tasty recipes

I haven't been working much for the past few weeks -quit my full time job due to the fact that I was never home and never had weekends off. Instead of working, I've been cooking A LOT! Here are the best recipes I have found so far. They are all ridiculously tasty and basic- I like to keep my cooking as simple as possible.

Veggie shepherd's pie with sweet potato mash

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash

Potato and leek soup (I didn't puree, I just mashed)

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/potato-and-leek-soup-L4.html


Thai fish cakes
*A few things I changed: I used more eggs and added about half a cup of flour to the mixture. I also ditched the coconut milk (didn't have any in the cupboard) and used coconut oil to cook in instead. It still gave a great flavour to the cakes. For the onion I did a combination of spring onion and one whole regular onion. These were the best fish cakes I've ever tasted!!
 
Ingredients
  • 1kg boneless skinless fish fillets
  • 5 green onions, chopped finely
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
  • 2 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup (60ml) coconut milk
  • 100g green beans, sliced thinly
  • peanut oil (I used coconut oil), for shallow frying
  • 1/3 cup (60ml) soy sauce
Method
  • Blend/ process (I just cut into small chunks) fish, add the onion, garlic, coriander, paste, egg and coconut milk until just combined. Stir beans into mixture.
  • Shape level tablespoons of the fish mixture into cakes, cover: refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Heat oil in large frying pan; shallow-fry fish cakes, in batches, about 3 minutes or until browned slightly both sides and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.

Spring Veggie Pie
(quick and easy meal)

Ingredients
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1 courgette, grated
  • 330 grams can corn kernels
  • A handful of baby spinach leaves
  • ¼ red capsicum, finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 teaspoons oil
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce (optional, delish)
  • ¾ cup self raising flour
  • 40 grams Edam cheese, grated (I use what ever I have)
  • salt and pepper to season
Method
  • Preheat oven to 200ºC and grease a 25cm x 5+cm dish
  • Prepare the vegetables
  • Mix all ingredients (except flour and cheese) together
  • Add flour, be sure not to over mix.
  • Place into dish, sprinkle with cheese, bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
You can add/remove veggies as you please, remember to adjust ratios (add extra egg/ flour)

No comments: